• 1883. Overells established by William James Overell (1854 - 1917) at 700 Ann Street, the corner of Ann and Warner Streets, afterwards occupied by Wildman Bros Plumbers and BCC Stores.
  • 1893. 8 February. Flooding: Brisbane Courier: "Overell and Co. and Jack and McKenzie's have suffered extensive losses..."
  • 1899. 6 July. Brisbane Courier: "... in Brunswick-street, and near the junction with Wickham-street, large two-story brick premises are being erected for Overell and Co., drapers. The premises will have three entrances, and will be an imposing block, and a decided addition to that portion of the city. The frontage is 99ft. The Bank of New South Wales is placing bank premises on the adjoining land, and at the corner of the streets; there will be two stories, the lower being used for banking, and the upper for residence purposes."
  • 1900. 28 July. Overells opens at its current location in Wickham St and Brunswick St. The Queenslander: "One of the most important landmarks in connection with the present progress of Fortitude Valley is unquestionably the handsome premises recently erected in Brunswick-street, close to the corner of Wickham-street ... An exceedingly handsome building has just been completed; indeed for the purpose required it is quite equal to anything in the city of Brisbane. ... The frontage and magnitude of the promises exceeds anything built here for very many years. The building is of brick, and has the facade to Brunswick-street finished in cement and divided into three bays of 33ft. each ... Although the premises present two stories only to Brunswick-street, the building is really of three stories, as the drop in the land enabled a lofty and well-lighted basement to be secured, which is approached on the level from the yard and rear roadway."
    Overells in 1900 (State Library of Queensland).
  • 1904. 10 February. A fire extensively damages the store. Brisbane Courier, 11 February: "The handsome and valuable pile of buildings comprising three stories and a basement and with a frontage of over 100ft to Brunswick street, were doomed to destruction. At a quarter before 9 o'clock the premises of Messrs. Overell and Sons had stood forth proudly as one of the foremost of the large drapery establishments which during the last couple of years have earned for the Valley the reputation of being the principal shopping centre of Brisbane. Two hours later it was a heap of smoking ashes, standing in the midst of other establishments all more or less damaged."
    Overells after the 1904 fire (State Library of Queensland).
  • 1904. 1 December. Brisbane Courier: "The new premises now completed for Messrs W. J. Overell and Sons, instead of those destroyed by fire in the beginning of the year, presented a very busy appearance yesterday morning when visited by a "Courier" representative. Three large entrances give access from the street frontage…. The show windows are nine in number, and are fitted with handsome nickel fittings, and lined with mirrors. When filled with their first display of goods they will form a very attractive feature in this portion of the Valley. A handsome arched awning covers the footpaths, large arc lights illuminating the whole length of the front."
  • 1906. 3 October. Brisbane Courier: Overell's Chairman: "We have now commenced the erection of our new premises in Wickham street connecting at the rear with our Brunswick-street premises which will give us an arcade from the two streets named and when completed we will have premises if not the largest at least equal to any in the city of Brisbane in the drapery trade, and where we will have better facilities for coping with our increasing trade."
  • 1907. 28 February. Brisbane Courier: "W. J. Overell & Sons, Limited, The Valley Drapers, announce for Friday and following days "A Gigantic Sale" to celebrate the opening of their new premises in Wickham-Street."
  • 1907. According to the Brisbane City Council Heritage Register for the former Overell Building the current store is constructed -- referring to the Wickham Street building. The date was previously "c1911" until adjusted on 6 October 2011 based on research performed for this site. Also see the Brisbane City Council Heritage Register for Overells Lane.
  • 1923. 24 September. Brisbane Courier: "The present policy is one of extension, and within the last few months adjoining property has been purchased at a very heavy cost with the idea of extending the company's premises. The addition to the business was found absolutely necessary because of the growing trade. It is also contemplated shortly to alter the windows in Wickham street and to install a very handsome island window scheme in that street. ... If its present policy and intentions materialise, one should see a big development and extension to the premises and business in the near future."
  • 1924. 6 March. Brisbane Courier: "Valley Business Freeholds for Sale. Mr. B. F. Canniffe, conveyancer and auctioneer, will sell by auction. at 11 o'clock this morning, the valuable business freeholds known as Bragg's buildings, in the heart of the Valley, having a frontage of 35ft. to Ann-street, and 54ft. to Warner-street."
Overells, from Brisbane Courier, 24 September 1923
  • 1927. 14 September. Brisbane Courier: "The rapid expansion of the business of Overells' Ltd., Wickham-street, Valley, has necessitated increasing the height of the firm's drapery emporium to five stories above the basement. ... Special lavatories for customers also have been constructed over that portion known as "Bragg's Building," which was purchased by the firm a few years ago."
  • 1928. 30 August. Brisbane Courier: "Overells' Ltd... have completed the purchase of the adjoining premises in Brunswick-street, occupied by Whincup and Co.... with its frontage of 66ft.... its continuous level frontage of 198ft. in one street in addition to the frontage of 54ft. in Wickham-street, will have few equals in the Commonwealth. Their present premises of five floors and a basement, together with the two floors and basement of the recently purchased building, will give the firm a floor space of 144,000 square feet [ie 13,400 square metres]."
  • 1953. 5 November. Courier-Mail: John H. Dawson: "Waltons planned to open branches in every big centre in Queensland. The company would first open four Queensland stores —at 240 Brunswick Street, Valley ..."
  • 1953. 17 November. Courier-Mail: "Waltons require experienced furniture section head ... Reply to ... 240 Brunswick Street, Valley." However, ads for Amalgamated Retailers positions at 240 Brunswick Street appear as late as 31 December 1954 which is the last day for the Courier-Mail in the Trove archive.
  • 1954. 2 November. Courier-Mail: "Amalgamated Retailers Ltd. yesterday became Waltons Ltd. as shareholders sanctioned the second change of name in three years."
  • 1956. 1 April. Overells bought by Waltons - according to McWhirters Page and delisted companies. Also from delisted companies it can be seen that at various times from 1926 to 1989, the company was known as Waltons Bond, Waltons-Sears, Cash Orders (Amalgamated), Amalgamated Retailers, and Bond Corporation Holdings. The original name of Waltons was Cash Orders (Amalgamated) which was founded in 1926.
  • 1973. 8 March. Whiskey Au Go Go nightclub fire in Fortitude Valley, referred to by Mount Cathay in 2009 complaint below.
  • 1976. 13 May. The Brisbane City Council writes to Waltons and approves their request to close Overell's Lane to vehicular traffic. Mount Cathay refers to this letter in 2009 complaint below.